Monday 22 June 2009

Pre match nerves!


Yes, we have all heard the expression. However, I am not talking about football. I am currently experiencing pre-match nerves for this coming Sunday. This Sunday is Race for Life day. This Sunday is what I have been training for, for the last 12 weeks or so. I am now VERY nervous about this Sunday.

Those of you who religiously follow my blog (thank you!) will know that I signed up for the race for life as a bit of a challenge to myself. I don't do running - or certainly didn't. But it seemed that everyone around me and everyone I spoke to this year was going to complete some kind of race. I, doing what I always do, laughed it off saying that was good for them but I couldn't possibly do it myself. My body isn't built for running. Then I stopped and reminded myself I am a Life Coach and should take some of my own advice. Was it really impossible or was I just talking myself out of it due to fear? Yes, I was definitely fearful. I was currently reading 'Feel the fear and do it Anyway', how apt I thought. So, without further hesitation I signed up. I also pledged this in the article in the Evening News when they interviewed me for 10 questions. There was no way out.

I stuck to the programme in the 'Running made Easy' book. It began with walking three minutes and jogging for one, four times. Even this was a bit of a struggle at the start. I am fit and healthy. I love going to the gym and walking but jogging was a very different discipline. I did this three times a week. It built up every week. Now, I am going out and jogging for half an hour. This is very hard for me and requires a lot of stamina. I am always purple on my return but feel amazing. However, I have never yet been able to jog the full 5k all in one yet. Not only is this a problem but I really struggle on the uphill. Those of you who are familiar with the Race for Life in Edinburgh will know it is up Arthur's Seat. I feel ill just thinking about it.

I am aware that when there is a big crowd I will be more inclined to keep running and that I don't actually have to run all the way round. However, it would be a huge achievement for me if I could. It all seems to have come a round too quickly.

I will let you know how this goes. Meantime, any hints and tips on stamina or jogging uphill would be greatly appreciated.

Watch this space. x

1 comment:

  1. You can do it! I think it's all in the breathing when it comes to jogging uphill but I have yet to master it! x

    ReplyDelete