Thursday 30 April 2009

Beat the credit crunch

I've been thinking about the credit crunch and how it must be effecting us all; those with property, those without and those who can't seem to go to the pub without becoming involved in a conversation regarding what a dire situation we are all in.

I have been one of those people who have complained to anyone who would listen. But conversation soon becomes rather dull with everyone trying to outdo the next with how the credit crunch is effecting them more than anyone else in the world. There is no doubt about it, the situation is not a good one. There are people in terrible situations having to sell houses they can no longer afford and to top it all off, costs of everything else are now rocketing also. So, we can't buy all the expensive food we enjoy, we can't dine out as much as we used to and we certainly can't be taking the odd road trip as sponterniously as we once did. So, what can we do?

I think these times will harden us as people. We will no longer expect things on a plate. Hopefully by the end of it all we will have new values and ideas on the things that are really important in life. I have always thought we have become too greedy as a nation. I first came to think about this when travelling in Fiji. The Fijians are the happiest people I have ever come across. They delight in everything. It was a few days into my travels that I realised there were children running around with no shoes on and old, worn out clothes. This hit me like a brick wall. These people have very little material posessions yet they value their families and their friends with utmost regard. They are happy with life and what they have been dealt and a lesson we should learn from them at this time is to 'make do'.

We will survive. We just need to get smart. We need to get organised. We need to take the time to make cut backs where possible. Plan meals and write shopping lists, change broadband provider and check your car insurer is the cheapest. Make positive steps and note these so youfeel mentally positive too.

So, you can no longer invest in property and new mortgages with cheap interest rates. Why not invest in yourself? Take this time to take a step back from all that is money and really think about what it is YOU want to do. Small things that will make you smile.

Personally, I am about to audition for a local musicals society. Something I used to do as a youngster but something that still haunts a very small area in the back of my mind. I realise that as an adult, I could go along and cringe at what is being asked of me and hate every moment of it. But surely its just as likely that it may reigninte a spark in me? I am also taking steps to get fitter and healthier, shed a few pounds. So, when this credit crunch is finally over and everyone begins coming out of their gloom, I will be dancing along with my new found singing voice and looking great.

So the next time you find yourself about to have a good old moan about the state of affairs, stop, take stock of who you're with and break the routine. Make a commitment right there to do something fun and new with that person. And if we all commit to doing this? We might just end the doom and gloom....

No comments:

Post a Comment