Thursday 30 April 2009

Practice what i preach


As a life coach, it is essential that I practice what I preach. Who wants to work with a coach who hasn't got the guts to go for things in life that frighten her? That's right, nobody.So, when my photographer friends began telling me about a 'new thing' happening in photography I wanted to know more. After all, life coaching is relatively new also (in the Uk anyway). 'Its about brides trashing their wedding dresses after the wedding day' they said quite calm and matter of factly. I swallowed hard. 'How do you mean 'trash'?' I replied. 'You know, like getting it covered in mud or getting it soaked'. After further discussion, I was told that it didn't have to be entirely about wrecking the dress. It was more about shooting in locations that weren't appropriate or accessible the first time. Its about shooting in odd/funny locations. Its a much more fun and relaxed shooting and hey, its a second chance to wear an expensive dress. Great, I thought. I can't wait to see the pictures (of others doing it). It sounded like a cracking idea and really is right up my street.


Myself and Christina (one half of the business) were going to do it together. Or so we said. We talked about ideas and locations but it was all a bit pie in the sky really. I had just got my dress back from the dry cleaners, for goodness sake. And I loved my dress. It was precious. Sure, I had no idea what I was going to do with it but wreck it?


Then, my friends were contacted by the Daily record regarding these shots. They needed some photos for an article. Unfortunately, they needed a scottish bride and my friends had only shot down south. Willing volunteer you say? As I hid in my wardrobe pouring over pictures of me in my gown. It all happened so quickly after that. Before I knew it I was heading up to the Angus area to collect my pristine dress and discussing what lenghts I would go to. I had never been so nervous. I had to keep telling myself what I would tell clients about just going for it. It WAS something I wanted to do.


We started tamely; on hay bails, sitting in dirty tyres, on the bonnet of a landrover and swinging from a combine harvestor. Then we found a river. At first I was standing on some rocks, then sitting on a rock with my train hanging in the water, then standing in the water up to my knees. By the end, if my dress wasn't so flipping heavy I probably would have swam! But we finished the shoot with me lying in a shallow pool of water, totally soaked. It was the most random day I have ever had but I can't remember the last time I had that much fun! Cheers Jay and Christina (www.elementalweddings.co.uk)With this story, I urge you to face a fear and just go for it! You never know how much fun you could have.




No comments:

Post a Comment