Thursday 30 April 2009

You can if you think you can

I know this title sounds a little 'hippyish'. I'm okay with that, if in theory it works. I definitely advocate thinking positively to clients and those around me. This has got me far in life. I also believe that you can choose how to react to certain events and situations, what mood you are in when you get up. Think about it; you wake up neutral and then take on a mood. So surely this is instigated by yourself.

Anyway, I have struggled in my time with positive affirmations. Strange you may think for a life coach. But can saying something positive about yourself as if it is already happening really help? And does it need to be out loud? I think its the out loud part that got me.

However, I have recently started to jog. I have never before been interested in jogging. It looks dull. I'd rather go to the gym. But this year I have been getting sick urges to break into a sprint rather randomly. So, I pledged in a newspaper article about myself that I would complete a race this year. Committing publicly means I have to do it. I signed up to do the 5k - small steps I thought. Now, I go out with a couple of friends on a Saturday and twice on my own in the week. I am very nearly enjoying it. I think the pleasure is in the fact I am doing something I never thought I would or could.

But my story doesn't end there. I have been finding it very difficult to get motivated this week. Going out on my own is difficult and it almost takes me longer to get geared up to go as it does to actually jog when I finally make it out. Having put my running gear on and ventured out with my stop clock at hand, i trudged along the cycle path. Half way through my training programme I felt tired and heavy as I thumped on the grass. My chatterbox in my head clicked into action telling me 'you're no good at running, look at the state of you all red faced and heavy footed. You'll never make it to the end.' I on the otherhand knew that I could as I had done before. I also knew that whilst I may not be good at it now, I was making an effort which was surely better than not even trying. I then thought I'd try some positive affirmations. I racked my brains to think about what would help at this time. Then as I ran, I began repeating in my head (not out loud) 'I am light and powerful'. Amazingly, this worked wonders and I began bouncing with ease. I completed my training without anymore trouble.

Try it for yourself when you feel something is getting difficult or you feel your mood changing for the worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment